Thursday, August 4, 2016

Good News, Bad News, Better News



The Good News: I posted some new fanfic a while back, but I've been so busy, I forgot to mention it here.  Jonah Hex: Shades of Gray #15 hit DC2's main site in late June, and Weird Western Quarterly #25 actually went up back in February.  Both stories were roughly three years overdue, and I apologize for keeping y'all waiting for so long.  It's damn tough to find a balance between getting this novel of mine published and keeping up with freebie stuff like fan fiction.  And on that note...

The Bad News: I got let go from Fear Front over the weekend.  The publisher and I had been having some disagreements, and though I'd thought we had worked them out, he decided it was better for both of us to cancel my contract.  Having this happen once with Permuted was bad enough, and frankly, it sent me into a months-long funk.  Having it happen a second time -- when I was mere months away from actually getting published -- makes me feel like I did back in school, when it seemed like I was being assaulted from all sides with no way to stop it.  I'm trying to keep myself from sinking as low as I did back then, however, because...

The Better News: I'm going to do my darnedest to get Swords & Sixguns self-published by the end of 2016.  I'd already decided earlier in this year that I'd go with that option if I didn't land a publisher by the time the calendar ran out, so I'm just stepping up the timetable a bit.  No more slamming by head against a brick wall papered with rejection letters (had about 25 at last count), no more getting my hopes up with a publisher just so I can get them shattered on a whim (I ain't gonna let this happen to me a third time).  I'd already done some legwork a few years ago, prior to my brief dalliance with Permuted (a sudden cash-flow problem stalled that attempt), so I've got an idea of what I'm getting into.  Heck, I've still got the small-business license I applied for...it's good until next year, and it'll only cost about 10 bucks to renew.  I've spent the past four days enlisting folks to help me get this done, and I've still got a few other things to check up on, so I'm not just talking about doing this, I AM DOING THIS.  Like the sign says: "No Manure Here".  If I hit a snag, I'll tell you folks right away.  If I blast through a major barrier between myself and final publication, I'll tell you that too.  And if any of you have any advice on how to pull off this crazy scheme, feel free to offer it, I'm all ears.

Watch this space for further developments...

No comments:

Post a Comment