Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Self-Pub Progress Report #1

Been a busy week prepping the business side of this whole self-publishing gig.  I had a sit-down with the folks who handle our taxes and asked what exactly I needed to do to keep this venture on the up-and-up with the IRS.  Turns out that one bit I thought was necessary isn't so much: since there's no real liability involved, it's just me hawking a book to folks, I don't need a small-business license, and I can let that one I signed up for a few years ago expire (no biggie, it only cost me ten bucks and a few minutes of filling out paperwork).  All I have to do is keep track of my expenses and earnings -- which I'll have to claim quarterly -- and we're good with the government.  *Whew!*

I've also been looking into doing some advance promotion, as Motor City Nightmares -- one of the conventions we go to -- is having a show on September 16th-18th.  Seeing as how that's only a little more than a month away, I doubt we'll be ready to launch by then (I'm figuring it'll be more like October), but I am working on having some promotional postcards for the book printed up that we can lay on the swag table and pass around in general, as well as doing like everyone else does at this show and tucking said cards into every wall crack and picture frame we can find (the bathrooms are usually plastered with flyers!).  I'll give y'all a sneak-peek at the promo art when it starts rolling in.

That's it for now...gotta get back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment