Friday, August 12, 2011

Got a hankerin' to go buy me some war bonds now.

Had a Cap-tastic day today.  Went to the comic shop for my bi-weekly fix, and while there, I found Captain America (vol.4) #1-6 on the 99-cent rack.  For those unfamiliar, this was the Marvel Knights revamp of Cap that began in 2002, roughly seven months after 9/11, and that tragic event forms the spine of the title's opening story arc.  It draws parallels between the World Trade Center and the Allied bombing of Dresden during WWII, as well as bringing up a few other nasty truths in the ongoing debate of "us versus them".  Overall, John Ney Rieber and John Cassaday deliver a story that is both action-packed and deeply moving, and I highly recommend picking it up if you missed it the first time around.

A few hours after devouring those issues, we went out to finally see Captain America movie (in glorious 2D, 'cause we're cheap).  I am soooooo glad it isn't as glossy-looking as some of the commercials made it out to be!  To be sure, it's leaps and bounds better than the Cap flicks I talked about a few weeks ago.  This had action and heart and enough fanboy in-jokes to keep me entertained throughout.  I did glance at my watch once, but that was only because it seemed like we were approaching the end, story-wise, and I was shocked to see that we'd only been in the theatre for an hour.  "Geez, if this is only the first half, what else is coming up?" I thought.  Turned out a whole lotta stuff was coming, and as we approached the real end of the movie and it looked as if Cap was going to die, I actually found myself getting a little choked up...even though I knew good and well that Captain America was gonna be in the upcoming Avengers movie!  Bonus points to Chris Evans for achieving that all-important connection with the audience.

Oh, and in case you haven't seen the movie yet, please remember to stick around for the extra scene after the credits.  Of course, everybody who's watched a Marvel movie in the past few years knows by now that you can't just get up and go when the house lights come on, there's always one last scene to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment