Friday, November 23, 2012

Happy Birthday, dear Doctor


On November 23, 1963, the very first episode of Doctor Who, "An Unearthly Child", was broadcast on the BBC.  Truth to tell, it was also broadcast the day before, but since that was the day President Kennedy was shot, nobody watched it.  Lucky for us the BBC didn't count that against the show.

Though I'd forgotten about the anniversary until this morning, I actually spent part of yesterday dwelling in all things Doctor.  My husband had stumbled across the above image whilst fiddling around with our new Android tablet -- it was featured in a Who-themed puzzle game -- so we were using our regular PC to hunt down the image's source via Google.  In the process, I kept finding these cartoony images of various Doctors.  It looked like Mike Kunkel going through a Gallifrey phase.



You know me,  love my 'toons, so I kept clicking on 'em to figure out what it was.  Turns out an artist named Rich Morris had constructed a Doctor Who fanfic comic called "The Ten Doctors", complete with cover.  It ran from 2007-2009 and clocked in at 247 pages (plus a Christmas Special or two).  I only managed to get through 30 pages of it last night, but I do plan on reading the entire opus, because so far it's funny, it's clever, it's adorable, and it's got more in-jokes than you can shake a sonic screwdriver at.

Speaking of adorable Doctory comics, you also might want to check out "Torchwood Babiez", created by Spastasmagoria and Jigglykat, this LiveJournal-hosted tale clocks in at 48 pages and almost wasn't finished due to computer hiccups -- it started in 2007, but didn't wrap up until 2011 -- thank goodness the creators persevered and fulfilled their original threat to "kill you with cute."


In case you hadn't guessed, it's very tongue-in-cheek, but there's some heartwarming moments as well.  Unlike "the Ten Doctors", it's a pretty quick read, and remember, this is complete now, so keep going once you get to the "I'm so sorry" page.

As for myself and my hubby, we're going to settle down and watch "An Unearthly Child" tonight.  If you have the DVD of the First Doctor's adventure, I suggest you do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment