Saturday, August 20, 2016

Coming into Fcous



As promised, here's a peek at Matt Erkhart's work on the promo art. I asked him to base Richard's look on a photo of Robert Cornelius (specifically, the first photographic self-portrait, circa 1839) I'd come across in a magazine roughly 20 years ago. I'd been struck at the time by how much this man looked the way I pictured Richard in my head (the shared initials are a coincidence, by the way...I originally had no idea what the man's name was), so it became my go-to reference if I ever wanted show a picture of the "real" Richard Corrigan.
As you've probably noticed, own art skills lean towards cartoony: whenever I draw Richard, I can never reproduce exactly what I want, I just get as close as my skills will allow. In fact, aside from one quick doodle by my husband, Matt is the first person other than myself to draw Richard, and he knocked it out of the park. This character is finally leaving the confines of all my little scribbles and becoming something more substantial.
Once we get the cards all printed up, I'll show off the full piece. I think you're gonna like it. And remember to check out http://erkhart.deviantart.com/ for more of Matt's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment