Sunday, July 3, 2011

52 Pick-Up

Okay, at the end of my last ramble, I said I would give you a rundown of what DC Comics titles I'm buying come September.  I've been doing a lot of looking around since then, reading creator interviews and Newsarama/CBR articles and scrutinizing all the solicits, and I've realized that there's a lot more books I'm interested in than I thought.

First up is the sure thing, the one that I'd buy no matter what, even if they passed some sort of comics law that said "Only one title per person": All-Star Western.


When I became a regular comics-buyer, Jonah Hex didn't have a title anymore.  He was a member of the original stack, though, and thanks to a nascent interest in westerns, I sought him out in the back-issue boxes.  I got hooked really quick, but aside from the three Vertigo minis in the 1990s (which aren't the best representation of him), I never got to experience the thrill of getting a brand-new Jonah Hex comic every month until 2005.  I've been VERY happy with what Palmiotti & Gray have brought to the character (and have told them so many times), so while I am upset that Jonah's losing his self-titled book, I am glad that he's not losing J&J.  Plus we'll be getting back-up stories with all the other DC Western folk, so more bang for the buck.  Only shaky step for me is Jonah staying in 1880s Gotham long-term: He's not comfortable in cities, so this is going to be a little odd...but on the other hand, it'll make him even more ornery than usual, and that's always fun.



Coming in second place is DC Universe Presents.  I'm a sucker for anthology titles, and I've always had a fondness for Deadman (the original stack contained reprints of his Neal Adams-drawn debut) that's only grown since Brightest Day.  I'll give it a flip first, but most likely. this is a buy.

Everything after this is one "maybe" after another.  I'll give them all a good hard look on release, but I don't know how many will become monthly pulls.  In no particular order:


Green Lantern: I've been a regular buyer of GL since Rebirth, but I'm starting to feel burned out.  The Emerald Knight has been going on one Crusade after another for...what, two years?  Three?  Not to say I haven't enjoyed the stories, but when was the last time this space cop busted somebody?  Yeah, I don't remember, either.  I also might take a peek at the Red Lanterns title, simply because I like Dex-Starr...if the rage kitty is the headliner, I'll buy it!


Birds of Prey: I've been buying BoP since it was just a special starring Oracle and Black Canary, but this...I'm not sure if this is even the same dang book.  They're really got to wow me with their #1 or I'm done.


Batgirl: On the good side, it's Gail Simone writing, and I've had this on-again/off-again interest in various Batgirls over the years, Babs included.  On the bad side, I REALLY want an explanation as to how the heck she's getting out of the wheelchair.


Swamp Thing: My taste in the big green guy leans more towards Alan Moore and Rick Vetich, but I'm curious.  I suppose that's what this whole gig is about, right?  Hooking those who are curious about one title or another and giving them jumping-on point.  Problem here is, aside from the aforementioned writers, most everyone else who's written Swampy does it quite badly, so I might run the other way screaming.


Hawk and Dove: I've kinda gotten hooked on Dove thanks to her appearances in Brightest Day and Birds of Prey, but I don't like Hawk at all, so this one's really dicey for me.  On the plus side, they mention in the solicit that Deadman is Dove's boyfriend, and I'm curious to see how this works now he's...well...dead again.


Blackhawks: Number-one reason to crack this one open on release day?  To see if Zinda Blake is in it.  I've loved Lady Blackhawk ever since her first appearance in Birds of Prey, and since it looks like she won't be there anymore, I reckon this is the most likely place for her to turn up (the book's called "Blackhawks", fer cryin' out loud!  Why wouldn't she be in it?).  Or she might no longer exist.  In which case I'll raise a beer in her honor and then cry in it.  Even if Zinda's not here, though, I might pick it up, for the same reasons I'm considering Men of War when it hits: I've been known to read war books here and there.  However, being modern warfare instead of the WWII icons they take their names from, it's iffy that I'll stay with it.

So, that's the rundown.  When we get to September, I'll give you an update of what I decided to take the plunge on and what I passed over.

No comments:

Post a Comment