Monday, March 7, 2016


Just got some bad news: Brandon Herren, one of the founding members of the DC2 fanfiction site I write for, died in an accident two days ago. I never met him in person, but I always thought he was a great guy, very funny and talented. He was constantly cranking out character redesigns and covers back when DC2 first started in 2005 (Penny Dreadful, who appeared in WWQ #7 and 22, was created by him -- he just sent me the designs and a general idea one day, saying that she seemed like a good fit for the title), and when we all got back together last year to plot out our "Ten Years Later" anniversary event, Brandon started cranking out designs again like a day hadn't gone by. Just an endless amount of talent in that man.
I was lucky enough to have him do the cover for Weird Western Quarterly #0, my first story for the site. I remember loving that image when it first came in, but feeling like a dope when I had to tell him the gunbelt was on the wrong way (and since Jonah Hex's face is asymmetrical, we couldn't just flip the image!). I don't know how he managed to fix it, but he did, and it still looks great a decade later.
God bless you, Brandon. I'm going to miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment