Monday, March 18, 2024

I hate [most] Westerns, Part 1 (guest post)


*NOTE: All the posts this month will be written my by husband, Jamin Hillwig, as I do my darnedest to make headway on the published version of my Hex history project.  Enjoy!

I hate Westerns. I do. With a few exceptions. I like the Young Guns movies. I like The Quick & The Dead. I like Two Mules for Sister Sarah and High Plains Drifter. I like The Cowboys and The Shootist with John Wayne. And that’s it. Anything else puts me to sleep. I remember way, way, way back when, when me and Susan were dating we rented The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. We took it back to my mom and stepdad’s place and popped it in the VCR and sat down to watch: me, Susan, and my stepdad. 15 minutes in and I’m out cold. The next thing I remember is opening my eyes to the credits and Susan and my stepdad talking about what a great movie that was. I don’t know about great movie but the experience ranks in the "Top 10 BEST Naps I’ve Had in My Life".

The Cowboys is a whole different story. Lots of stuff goes on in that movie. There are no great expanses of one man riding his horse across the open plains with no dialog. And it’s got John Wayne. For my money, John Wayne and Optimus Prime are the same guy. Sure, the man advocated war when he himself never served, but that’s not the point. Watch the movie. There is a part near the end where all the cowboys (just kids, literal cow BOYS) are gathered around John Wayne and he starts talking about “how proud he is of them” and “how every father wants their children to be better than them. And you are.” If you are a guy…. If you are human, this scene will get at you. The Shootist is kinda the “long form” version of that scene.

Two Mules and The Quick & The Dead are just good action movies. You could change the era and location and it would make little difference. That’s not a slight to the movie or the writers. They’re both movies anybody would like because they are easily relatable.

High Plains Drifter is a ghost story. That’s my wheelhouse. It’s a slow burn, but when it gets good, it gets REAL GOOD. Not gory but creepy as Hell!

Young Guns has a sequel… Just like this post. I’m devoting a whole post to both movies. I’m a huge fan and it’s a lot to unpack.

No comments:

Post a Comment