Monday, March 4, 2024

The #1 Fan's Opinion (guest post)


*NOTE: All the posts this month will be written my by husband, Jamin Hillwig, as I do my darnedest to make headway on the published version of my Hex history project.  Enjoy!

It’s “Assistant Editors' Month". That means I get the center chair while Susan concentrates more on writing books than posting silly memes and giving us all her two cents. And since I now control the horizontal and the vertical, I’m going to try to post stuff that’s a little different than what you get here. And since I am Susan’s #1 Fan, were going to start by answering this question:

WHAT IS IT LIKE TO BE MARRIED TO AN AUTHOR?

Well, since I’ve only been married to one person, I can’t really compare unless I use examples I’ve seen in real life. It’s not all too different from what any of you know. The main difference I can think of is: along with the regular stuff people do, writers write. Yeah, no shit. But really, I mean it. Some days she’s on a streak and she’ll just be plugging away. Other times, she’ll get just a few sentences out. And if you’re a helpful guy like me, this is when you’ll want to help.

Don’t.

Not unless they ask. Because you really don’t know what’s going on in the story. Even if you think you know what’s going on, you don’t. So, I hate to break it to you kids. Don’t expect me to drop in juicy tidbits of what’s coming up in the next book. I only have the vaguest notion…. Though, one time about 10 years ago, I did pin Susan down and make her tell me at least the broad strokes of the story. And I'd  love to tell you all what I know. But I’m certain that’s all changed. Trust me, the original ideas she had from over 25 years ago are wildly different…. I don’t know if that is a writer’s thing or woman’s prerogative.

And that is really the long and short of it. Everything a normal husband or wife does, but they also type, and on rare occasion ask for an opinion on something they totally made up.

No comments:

Post a Comment